Strong 6.8 magnitude earthquake off Chile coast
(Santiago) – A 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck in the Pacific off the coast of Chile, the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said.
“There is a low likelihood of casualties and damage,” the USGS said of the earthquake, which it earlier reported as a magnitude 7.2, and which occurred 41 miles (66 kilometers) west-southwest of Constitucion, Chile.
Chile´s National Seismological Center (CSN) put the quake at 6.6 magnitude.
Despite the tremor´s strength, there were no reports of injuries, impacts to basic services or damage to infrastructure, according to Chile´s National Emergency Office (ONEMI).
There were also no tsunami warnings, advisories, watches or threats in the wake of the earthquake, according to the US Tsunami Warning System.
Chile is one of the world´s most earthquake-prone countries.
The 1960 Valdivia earthquake in Chile was, at 9.5, the strongest ever recorded on the magnitude scale, according to the USGS.
Chile lies on the Ring of Fire — an arc of fault lines that circles the Pacific Basin and is prone to frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.
- E-commerce Policy Framework Given Green Signal In Cabinet Session Under PM
- Trump Administration Pushes Back Against Impeachment Probe
- Pakistani Authorities Hand Over BSF Soldier’s Body To India: ISPR
- Azad Kashmir President Sees Hope In US-China Response To India
- Millie Bobby Brown Goes Blonde For New Season Of Stranger Things
- Hollywood Tycoon Eric Pleskow Dies At 95
- Zuckerberg To ‘go To The Mat’ To Fight Breakup: Report
- Foreign Funding Case: ECP Adjourns Hearing Till Oct 10
- Kasur Child Rapist, Murderer Arrested As Police Successfully Match DNA
You Might Also Like
- Dubai Villa Prices Fall to Lowest Point in a DecadeMansion Global
- No Language is “Foreign” with This Brilliant Japanese InventionNext Tech
- Cheap Powerful Smartphone Is On Sale In RussiaNext Tech
- Russia: This New Air Conditioner With No Installation Necessary Is Selling OutNext Tech
More From World
- Trump administration pushes back against impeachment probe
- Azad Kashmir President sees hope in US-China response to India
- Sajid Javid addresses beloved mother in Punjabi during Tory event
- 9-year-old among 144 minors detained in Indian Occupied Kashmir
- Iraq security forces fire water cannons, tear gas at protesters
- Meghan Markle backs better access for women to higher education
- One dead, 10 injured in attack at Finnish vocational college: police
- Yasin Malik case: Jail authorities refuse to present Kashmiri leader in court
- Man held outside UK parliament in ‘petrol’ incident: police
- N Korea to hold nuclear talks with US on Saturday
- China shows off military prowess
- At least 11 Afghan police killed in Taliban attack
- Hold the vodka: Russians cut drinking 40 percent under Putin
- Britain’s Johnson to table new Brexit plan ‘very soon’
- India’s Jaishankar turns down third-party mediation on Kashmir
- Gautam Gambhir gets owned by Indian author after remarks against PM Imran
Comments are closed.